Is a special kind of care for terminally-ill people, their families and their caregivers that:
- Treats the physical needs of the patient, and their emotional and spiritual needs.
- Takes place in the patient's home, or in a home-like setting.
- Concentrates on making the patient as free of pain and as comfortable as they want to be so they can make the most of the time that remains to them.
- Considers helping family members an essential part of its mission.
- Believes the quality of life to be as important as the length of life.
More than a million patients and their families have